Ghee - Clarified Butter
- Melt two pounds of unsalted butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat;
- Simmer uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes whilst skimming the foam from the top;
- Remove from heat when curds on the bottom turn light tan and ghee is light golden;
- After 5 mins remove any solids from the surface;
- Strain through fine messed tea strainer or 4 layers of muslin cheese cloth.
2 kilos (5 lbs) = 1 hour
15 kilos = 6 hours
- For each 2 kilos (5 lbs) of ghee allow 1 gal pan size;
- Place butter in a heavy-bottomed, thick-walled pan;
- Leave uncovered and undisturbed in oven at 350°F until solids on surface are crusty;
- Skim and save the surface layer;
- Ladle/decanter clear ghee from fatty solids on bottom;
- Store guee in sealed jars;
- Ghee solids can be used in many recipees.
To each 5 lbs butter before cooking add:
- 3 in piece of peeled and sliced ginger root;
- Use for deep fried pastries.
- 4 tbsp cumin;
- 10 fresh or dried curry leaves.